Hi All,
I am posting two videos - nothing special, just Youtube debris - I think give some sense of the play as is it might be staged. I had difficulty getting my head around the dialogue, with its /'s and *'s, and found the videos made a bit of difference to that end.
One video is a promo of some sort, for a production that took place in Ottawa, and comes complete with white-suburban-Nijo and snappy 1985 soundtrack courtesy of Aretha Franklin.
The second video is from a show called "Theater Talk" and features an interview with John Heilpurn, (Wikipedia places him as a drama critic for the New York Observer) where the following exchange takes place:
I am posting two videos - nothing special, just Youtube debris - I think give some sense of the play as is it might be staged. I had difficulty getting my head around the dialogue, with its /'s and *'s, and found the videos made a bit of difference to that end.
One video is a promo of some sort, for a production that took place in Ottawa, and comes complete with white-suburban-Nijo and snappy 1985 soundtrack courtesy of Aretha Franklin.
The second video is from a show called "Theater Talk" and features an interview with John Heilpurn, (Wikipedia places him as a drama critic for the New York Observer) where the following exchange takes place:
Theater Talk: "What is Caryl Churchill getting at in that play?"
JH: "Caryl Churchill is a feminist *slight eyebrow raise*, and a socialist *eyebrows
again*, and wants to change the world *EYEBROWS!* and change theatre. Just little things like that, so..."
Anyway, hope these give you some insight into the play, or perhaps just a giggle.
See you in class,
Jess
Wow. I thought seeing the play would make it easier to understand, but I think it's easier to read. I did find it confusing to read at first, but if I didn't understand something I would just re-read that section, perhaps more than once. That way I could more easily understand why one character had chosen to interrupt another.
ReplyDeleteIn the brief clip you have provided here, I find it quite difficult to understand. Maybe it would be different in a theater setting. I think it's a fantastic play, and to see it performed would be wonderful. I suppose after a while you would be able to listen to the dialogue that was simultaneous and clearly understand it... I would be very interested in seeing the play.
The concept is similar to that of Opera, where you can have many voices singing at once, and it's incredibly harmonious. Harmony is much more difficult to achieve when the actors are simply speaking. It would be interesting to see how much of it feels like noise, or if it does develop into a natural harmony.
Thanks for posting those Jess,
Jessica.